Lesson 35: How Have Civil Rights Movements Resulted in Fundamental Political and Social Change in the United States?
When you have finished this lesson, you should be able to
- explain why African Americans, women, and other groups found it necessary to take concerted action to ensure recognition of their civil rights,
- describe some of the goals and tactics that civil rights movements have used,
- describe and explain the importance of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965,
- identify some ongoing issues involving civil rights, and
- evaluate, take, and defend positions on landmark legislation involving civil rights and the role of civil disobedience in America’s constitutional democracy.