American Legacy: The United States Constitution and Other Essential Documents of American Democracy
American Legacy: The United States Constitution and Other Essential Documents of American Democracy is an 80-page pocket-sized (3.5" x 6.5") booklet that comprises the U.S. Constitution and the Declaration of Independence together with passages from other documents that encompass essential ideas of American democracy. The documents are arranged chronologically beginning with the Mayflower Compact.
Included are excerpts from such documents as:
- The Federalist
- Chief Justice John Marshall's decision in Marbury v. Madison
- George Washington's "Farewell Address"
- Thomas Jefferson's First Inaugural Address
- Sojourner Truth's "Ain't I a Woman?"
- Abraham Lincoln's First Inaugural Address
- The Gettysburg Address
- The Emancipation Proclamation
- Learned Hand's "The Spirit of Liberty"
- Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" Speech
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964
Also included is an extensive index to the U.S. Constitution.